VR/AR Instructional Designer
About this Role & You
KairosXW is looking for an instructional designer with experience building AR, VR, desktop 3D, and mobile training tools. With a history of designing successful learning programs, you understand the tradeoffs between immersive mediums, and which data and KPIs prove both sound instructional design and skill growth. Your core job will be to create instructional content and deliver training that supports organizational key performance indicators.
You will work alongside client teams, designers, and developers to build and manage educational and training experiences across enterprise, from renewable energy to healthcare to AEC (architecture, engineering, and construction). You will be the instructional expert, leading creative direction, and working with clients and stakeholders to ensure learning objectives are met. As a consistent advocate for the learner, your goal is to accelerate the learning process using well-designed, custom XR training applications. You will own crafting immersive assessments and instructional exercises, to objectively measure skill proficiency and accelerate learning.
This includes new hire training, process and product training, leadership courses, and “train the trainer” materials. A high degree of creativity and self-motivation is expected. Success and accomplishment drive you and you are known for your fresh thinking and ability to vigilantly view a situation from all perspectives.
If you geek out over instructional patterns for immersive technologies and have a proven track record of successful XR training solutions, we want to talk to you!
This position is contract for hire, with full-time and part-time work available. Remote opportunities are also available.
KXW provides best-in-class virtual reality training software for wind turbine technicians. KXW’s (Kairos x Wind) mission is to accelerate the adoption of wind energy. How? By building industry-leading interactive 3D training courses and helping wind turbine companies & training providers build the most sophisticated learning programs in the world. This not only accelerates the wind turbine tech training process and employment opportunities, but better prepares them for the field: higher confidence, fewer onsite mistakes, safer work environments.
By building VR and desktop 3D simulations, we use technology to scale apprenticeship-based experiential learning. We will partner with training providers- community colleges, training centers, and wind turbine companies- to deliver this training to their students and employees.
- Partner directly with leadership and subject matter experts to analyze performance problems, design, develop, and deliver engaging content for a variety of audiences and delivery modes (online, webinar, etc.) with clear strategies and tactics to achieve desired learning outcomes
- Must be creative and act as a liaison between technical and innovative groups to identify and solve gaps in training using methodical processes such as ADDIE
- Evaluate current training offerings and provide recommendations to update, adapt, or decommission trainings
- Design training materials to enhance the current training’s user experience
- Promotes and updates current training standards that are used globally by various clients and teams
- Work cross-functionally to design and develop classroom training, job aides, videos and self-directed e-learning courses using rapid e-learning tools such as Storyline, Rise, Camtasia, and Snag It, in addition to AR/VR
- Maintain and revise existing learning content in our Learning Management System
- Develop strategies and resources to support deployment of information on process and product changes
- Design instructional experiences that facilitate knowledge transfer
- Design storyboards and immersive simulations to accelerate the learning process and help the user practice their trained skills
- Design immersive assessments to increase knowledge retention, such as training games, scenarios, and simulations
- Work with clients to capture learning objectives and facilitate immersive curriculum development
- Lead the creative direction of each training experience, including narrative, UI, attention queues, and the overall immersive learning experience
- Design analytics systems to capture specific KPIs, to prove the ROI of the immersive training simulation
- 3+ years in instructional design
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required
- Required work or educational experience with technical and/or engineering concepts
- Open collaborative style; ability to work both in a team environment and autonomously with minimal supervision or direction
- Ability to be unfazed by ambiguity and comfortable in environments with shifting priorities
- Must be able to understand complex information and communicate the information to people with diverse professional backgrounds
- High proficiency and expertise in Microsoft Office Suite, in particular PowerPoint and SharePoint are required
- Understanding of adult learning theory and application
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills with ability to successfully deliver and communicate complex technical training
- Proven time management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of VR and AR best practices
- Curiosity about the future of computing and immersive technologies
- Ability to work with a collaborative development team
- Portfolio of XR training and education experiences
- Deep passion for immersive LxD
- VR and AR development experience
- VR and AR design experience
- Knowledge of VR and AR best practices
- Experience using Storyline, Rise, Camtasia, and Snagit
- Experience with learning and content management systems and platforms
- Experience designing analytics systems to evaluate training efficacy
- Fast learner, and excited about new problems